Monday, May 10, 2010

Impermanence

It is probably not a good idea to write a blog post in the middle of the night, but I'm up and I'm here, so here goes.

Impermanence has become a wonderful friend to me. Things that used to grasp at me no longer have such a firm grip. Now I can have more open conversations with them.

"Hello friend book. I remember choosing you at the bookstore and the friend who recommended you. I remember reading you and being changed by you. Perhaps I no longer need you here to help me remember. It may be time for you to be chosen by another and read by another. Be free to bless another life, my friend."

When spoken to kindly like that many of my so-called possessions are relieved of their fervent grip on me. They relax and smile, perhaps for the first time in a very long time. I hadn't noticed the pained look they had adopted from hanging on so tightly. Letting things go is truly a joy.

My years in seminary are among the best years of my life. I have wonderful memories of those people in that place. But, even memories can grasp too tightly for too long. It is time for me to invite those memories to fade, to mellow, and to become something beautiful again. Those moments were right for that time, but clinging too tightly to them will only turn them into a painful loss. Why not set them free?

I can choose to move through this week's graduation events living in the present moment rather than in the past. I can experience them for what they are. There is no need to infuse them with tears that express loss or endings. There is no need to thrust unrealistic expectations upon them.

Life is lived in the present moment. This present moment includes a cat getting a drink, a thunderstorm rumbling outside, a version of myself writing a blog post at a keyboard while another version of myself gets a bit of relief from asthma by sitting up.

The present moment is always full of life, bursting with sights, sounds, tastes, scents, textures, and feelings. Now is only made richer by releasing my grip on yesterday and tomorrow. Or, as Jesus said, "let the day's own troubles be sufficient for the day."
Mary

No comments: